ACADEMY AWARD POSTERS BY GALLERY 1988
In a rare example of the Academy doing something right, they’ve teamed with the artists at LA’s Gallery 1988 for a series of posters celebrating this year’s best picture nominees. the results offer a little something for everybody (or everything for fans of comic books), though the great tragedy here might be that the most beautiful work is reserved for Les Mis.
In November, Fake Criterions celebrates its second (!?!) anniversary. Again, we will be doing a contest. The theme?
CAGE MATCH - The Films of Nicolas Cage
ANYTHING in the fellow’s filmography is fair game- good, not-so-good, whatever. It just has to be a Nicolas Cage film.
Our Judges (in alphabetical order):
- Molly Eichel, Philadelphia Daily News, The AV Club
- Jake Fogelnest (jakefogelnest.com), Sirius XMU, The Fogelnest Files
- Lacey Mitcalef, lulinternet
- Paul Scheer (paulscheer.com), NTSF:SD:SUV, The League, How Did This Get Made
- Chris Sims, Batmanologist & Senior Writer- Comics Alliance
The Prizes: TBA
- ONE entry per person, so choose your film wisely and design it creatively.
- E-MAIL ENTRIES ONLY. You can tag it on Tumblr if you’d like, but only entries received via email will be considered. Send them to fakecriterions[at]gmail.com, with the subject line “Fake Criterions Cage Match.”
- ONLY THOSE ENTRIES RECEIVED VIA EMAIL BETWEEN 12:00AM EST NOV. 7 AND 11:59PM EST NOV. 28 WILL BE CONSIDERED.
We’ll announce and post the winners and other entries in early December, after the judges have time to pick their favorites.
Special thanks to Zach Osif and Brice Baum for their wonderful Cages for our poster. Want to download a copy? Here’s the PDF.
The fine folks at Criterion have nothing to do with this. They only provide inspiration for this little joke site and we are certain that they have far more important things to do with their time.
Mondo’s latest Universal Monsters art, and gallery information:
Mondo, the collectible art division of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, will feature the iconic “Universal Monsters” for its next gallery show, which runs from October 19 through November 10, featuring both prints and original works of art from dozens of world-renowned artists including Martin Ansin, Rick Baker, Jason Edmiston, JC Richard, Drew Struzan, Ken Taylor, Kevin Tong and many more. The gallery opening on October 19 will be from 7:00 - 10:00pm with regular hours to follow for the show’s duration. The Mondo Gallery is located at 4115 Guadalupe St. in Austin, TX.
Artist: Laurent Durieux
THE INVISIBLE MAN
Artist: Francesco Francavilla
CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON
Artist: Ken Taylor